Sunday, January 31, 2010

Just keep running . . .

This week was pretty good as far as training goes.  I got in two 3-hour runs and a few shorter ones.  I even hit the weight room and did some reps of various activities.  I did a couple takes of a 10-minute video for the Fuel Up for 60 program at our school.  The plan is that these videos will be shown in the afternoon and teachers who desire to can turn on their tvs and the kids can get some exercise.  It is a product of a grant the school got from the NFL and the National Dairy Council.  It works nicely as well with a grant that I received from Highmark called the Highmark Healthy High 5 School Challenge.  It has kids looking at the food choices they make and activities they do and trying to establish/maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I can say I don't remember having to think so hard about these things thirty years ago, but we got our first chain restaurant when I was in 11th grade in high school.  That may have something to do with it.
I sent about 70 emails last week looking for support. I'm hoping folks are just waiting for the income tax return before submitting their responses, because I got very few returns.  I am in a constant battle as to whether email is better or worse than traditional, hard copy mail.  At 44 cents a letter, though I feel like I need to try email first.  Thanks to the Shaner Group for their donation and to Appalachian Ski and Outdoors for their contribution.  I've been thinking of the canning idea, standing in traffic with a sandwich sign on hoping folks will be generous.  I hear that it is successful and, I am certainly not bashful, but I need to get the right place and the right permissions.  Maybe my crew can help with this.
I will be on WRXV FM on February 27 at 7:30 PM on a show called Centre Topics.  My wife is speaking at a Penn State Marketing Association event on March 4, and the Centre Daily Times has contacted me about a story and we should do some work on that this week.  Hopefully, with increased attention, more folks will become aware and knowledgeable of the long term effects of diabetes and feel a desire to help out.
Well, time to get ready for church.  Hope this week is as successful as last week.
Thanks for all the kind words of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment