Monday, September 21, 2009

Great Day for Up! and Down! and Up Again!

Yesterday was the Dam Half at R.B. Winter State Park.  What an awesome day!  Mid 40's at the start, I think, but low 60's at the end.  Great course and superb volunteers!  Incredible food and HUGE goodie bags (You've got to see them to believe them.).  I ran with Dave Hunter for the first 3/4 of the race and listened to some great stories between him and dam fool, I mean full runner.  I don't know his name, but he is 60 years old and ran a 50k Punxsy last week.  Great group to run with.
My buddy Pat and I ran together most of the way.  I wanted to beat him to the finish and thought at mile 10 I had him licked, but I turned around at the top of "Stairway to Heaven" and there he was 25 meters behind me.  Fortunately, he has a brain and hesitates to barrel headlong down hills, so I was able to finish before him.  I ran as hard yesterday as I have in a long time and feel great, mentally, because of it.
I actually feel good physically as well.
I think it helped to take a dip in the lake afterward, too.  I was in the water up to just above my knees for 10-15 minutes when my wife made some challenging remark about going in the rest of the way.  Well, of course after 19 years, she knows how to push my buttons.  I shed my jersey and dove in - not without some trepidation.  It wasn't that bad, I just didn't stay under too long.
I was worried about 4:00 this morning because I woke up and my calves hurt like crazy.  I had a cup of water and thought about vitamin I (ibuprofen), but figured I would wait to see how the morning looked.  All was well and I made it through the day without incident or medication :)
I am looking forward to the Mega in a couple of weeks.  I am glad there is some time in between, though.  I hope to get my rear in gear tomorrow morning and get in a few before the sun gets up instead of the "No up for me, I'm sleeping in today"  of the Dr. Seuss book.

No comments:

Post a Comment